Linux Install Fest
Date to be announced soon!
Free as in Kool-Aid for Everyone!
Come and get Linux running, take back full control of your computer, learn how easy Linux really is (oh, that's a secret sorry) and get Kool-aid to boot.
The first night will focus on getting guys up and running, and oriented to, a Linux install which will be one of:
- A full install
- VirtualBox install
- Wubi based Ubuntu - dual boot install
Both Debian and OpenSuse will be available to choose from. We will help you determine the best path to take given your hardware and individual needs.
We will also cover as many topics as we an from the below, and likely leading to another night were we will go more in depth into using Linux as your production OS in daily use.
Further talks can go into advanced uses, using Linux as a developer, the numerous languages and frameworks supported, Eclipse, scripting, hacking, etc.
After the basic OS install, we will go over popular applications both unique to Linux and ones that allow easy migration from similar Windows apps:
- Mail clients (Thunderbird, Evolution, Thunderbird) and MS Exchange integration
- IM clients
- Running Windows apps and games under Wine, PlayOnLinux, Crossover, etc.
- Citrix client for business environments
Of course, we will also talk about gaming on Linux
- Humble Bundles
- World of Goo
- WoW and Diablo 3
- Path of Exile
- Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
- Open Arena
- Browser based, native client 3D games
- Steam on Linux
How to Do Stuff
- Installing software
- Configuring and using software repositories
- Configuring Printers (CUPS, HPLIP, etc.)
More Advanced Stuff
- Mounting Windows and network file systems (ntfs-3g, NFS, iSCSI, sshfs, etc.)
- Basic Networking
- What is a distro?
- What are the different desktop environments?
- Encrypted partitions (LUKS) and folders (encfs)
- Networking fun (Wireshark, aircrack-ng, etc.)
- Scripting (bash, python, etc.)
- Command line basics